In 1892 a group of Oxford, NC natives attended a revival conducted by Elijah Lowney of Cleveland Ohio in the city of Wilmington, NC. Among that group from Oxford were Peter Gregory and his wife Nancy, Wallace Pitchford and his wife Louise. Peter Gregory under divine inspiration decided to purchase a building on Orange Alley in 1906. He lived upstairs and the church was located down stairs. At this particular time the church was few in number and was not called Mount Zion. A few months later, it was necessary to move because the membership had grown. The second building was then purchased it was located on the corner of Orange Street and Orange Alley. By 1907 a third building was needed. Reverend Cousin and his wife purchased a site from Ms. Sue Bobby: the site on which the church stands today. The church was a one room structure with a balcony, double doors and a bell that rang before service times. There was no indoor plumbing or electricity. A pot belly wood stove stood in the right upper corner as the source of heat. In 1917 Reverend Gregory departed and Bishop Fisher became Pastor. It was during this time that the Church was actually named Mount Zion United Holy Church.
In 1934 Bishop Fisher left to Pastor a church in New York. Reverend L.L.. Davis from Goldsboro, NC served as Pastor from 1933-34. Our pulpit again was empty. Bishop H.W. Fields of Durham came to us in 1934 and served until 1944. Bishop S.G. McCoy served as Pastor from 1944-1969. We were again without a shepherd. In October of 1969 Elder V.F. Jeffries answered the call. Elder Jeffries served from 1969-1997. When Pastor Jeffries health declined, Rev. Harold Lee served from 1997-1998. In 1998 Elder Timothy Moore served this great church until the year 2000. In October of 2000 our current Pastor, Elder Patrick Jackson answered the call. The Lord has blessed us with a legacy that we can be Godly proud of and He's not finished with us yet!!!!